Monday, July 13, 2009

Monday Monday................... Reunions






Summers are great for family reunions. Reconnections and update chats but the best is to see those familiar family faces and smiles. Love these stones above. They remind me of my grandmother who crocheted like this. I can see her with a tiny silver croquet hook and ball of string. She made full tableclothes of small circles. She used to sew my cousin and I matching everything, bathrobes and beach towels and summer dresses. I once received a box with beautiful lined doll clothes, perfect handstiching with buttons and snaps, dresses and pants with vests and a turquoise outercoat. Actually the list goes on and on if you add all the angora Barbie sweaters and raisin breads and brown bread and caramel rolls. She also played the mandolin. I don't know of anything she couldn't do. I wish I knew her better. So glad to have all these memories and so thankful for her generous creative spirit.

Oh yeah and here is her spice cake recipe.....

Mandolin Lilly's Spice Cake

Boil 1 cup dates in 2 cups water for 10 minutes and then add 1/2 cup shortening and let this cool. In a separate bowl combine;
1 3/4 cup sifted flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon clove
1/2 teaspoon salt
Add above together and combine with 1 egg and 1 cup walnuts
Bake 30-45 minutes at 350F

Caramel frosting
On low heat melt 1/2 cup butter and 1 cup brown sugar and 1/4 teaspoon salt.
Stir in 1/2 cup milk until it boils and removed from heat.
Add 2 1/2 cups powdered sifted sugar and 1 teaspoon vanilla.







No comments:

Post a Comment

much appreciated comments